24 Route 2.
Bichat (d. 1802), who once studied at Bourg, by David d'Angers.
The house in which Lalande (d. at Paris in 1807) was born is
indicated by a tablet with inscription. — Bourg is the junction
of the line to Lyons, Mouchard, Besancon, and Mulhausen, which
is the direct railway between Lyons and Strassburg (comp. p. 4).
The celebrated * Church of Brou, in the florid Gothic style, erected
in 1511-36 by Margaret of Austria, Regent of the Netherlands, is situated
I72 M. from the town. It contains the sumptuous * Monuments of the
foundress, the Duke Philibert of Savoy her husband, and Margaret of
Bourbon, her mother-in-law. Her well-known motto '■Fortune infortune
forte une\ may be seen in different parts of the church.
The line intersects the forest of Seillon. Near Stat. Pont dJAin
the Ain is crossed.
317 M. Amberieu, a pleasant little town on the Albarine, sit¬
uated at the base of the Jura Mts., is the junction for Lyons (p. 5).
The train now continues to ascend the valley of the Albarine.
To the left lie the ruined castles of Vieux-Mont-Ferrand and St.
Germain. Beyond St. Rambert de Joux the valley becomes wilder
and more imposing. The line quits the Albarine at stat. Tenay, and
enters a sequestered valley to the right, where Les Hopitaux is
situated. Near Rossillon are a few fragments of an ancient strong¬
hold. Beyond a tunnel, lfe M. in length, the lakes of Pugieu are
observed on the right. Beyond two small stations the train next
reaches the valley of the Rhone near —
348 M. Culoz (774 ft.; Hotel Folliet; *Rail. Restaur.), at the
base of the Colombier (5032 ft.), the junction of the Geneva line.
From Geneva to Culoz (4172 M.) railway in l3/4-2l/s hrs. (fares 8fr. 10,
6fr., 4fr. 45 c). The line follows the right bank of the Rhone, on the
slopes of the Jura Mts. Beyond (14 M.) Collonges, the Rhone flows through
a narrow rocky valley, confined between the Jura and Mont Vouache,
and commanded by the Fort de VEcluse, which rises far above on the
right. The line quits the defile by the long Tunnel du Crido (273 M.),
crosses the grand Valserine Viaduct, and reaches (2072 M.) Bellegarde
(Poste), at the influx of the Valserine into the Rhone (French custom¬
house examination). The latter here forms a species of rapid, known as
the Perte du Rhdne, where the water is occasionally lost to view. Sta¬
tions Pyrimont, Seyssel, and Culoz.
The train crosses the Rhone, and at stat. Chdtillon reaches the
Lac du Bourget (12 M. in length, l^M. in breadth), the E. bank
of which it follows. Several tunnels and fine views.
363 M. Aix-les-Bains (850 ft.; * Grand Hotel d'Aix; *Venat;
*Hotel de VEurope; *Guilland et de la Poste, less expensive; and
many others), the Aquae Allobrogum or Aquae Gratianae of the
Romans, is a celebrated watering-place with 4400 inhab. (8000
visitors to the baths annually), possessing sulphur-springs (113°
Fahr.), adapted for internal and external use. The large new
Etablissement Thermal, with baths and pump-room, deserves in¬
spection. In the place in front of it rises a Roman triumphal arch
of the 3rd or 4th cent. ; the other scanty relics of the Roman period
(fragments of a temple and of baths) are almost all within the pre¬
cincts of private property and not easily accessible. — Pleasant ex-