1. Route. 23
recently well known as the prison of Marshal Bazaine (from 26th
Dec. 1873 to the night of 9th Aug. 1874, when lie effected his
escape). The island commands a fine survey of Cannes and the
coast. On the island of St. Honorat rise the ruins of a fortified
monastery and church (boat there and back 10-12 fr.).
The Environs of Cannes are delightful, and studded with numerous
villas. On the Frejus road (to the W.) is the Chateau des Tours, the
property of the Due de Vallombrosa, with a beautiful ^Garden, to which
visitors are admitted. Another walk may be made towards the E. to the
Cap de la Croisette, wh'ere the Jardin des Hespirides, with its fine orange
plantations, is situated. An excursion to the Chapel of St. Antoine on
the road to Vallauris, which commands an admirable view, is somewhat
more fatiguing. Visits may also be paid to Mougins, the monastery of
St. Cassien, and the ruin of Napoule. The active pedestrian should walk
to the rocky nest of Auribeau, and thence to Mouans, on the railway
from Cannes to Grasse, or to Grasse itself. From Grasse an easy trip
may be made to Le Bar, near which is the interesting Gorge de Courmes.
The vegetation is luxuriant, but lemon-trees are not common here.
Orange-trees are principally cultivated for the sake of the blossoms,
which form an important article of commerce.
Beyond Cannes the line passes Golfe Jouan; a column marks
the spot where Napoleon bivouacked on the night after his arrival
from Elba, 1st March, 1815.
128 M. Antibes (Hotel de France) , the ancient Antipolis , a
colony of the Massilians , is now a small, but busy seaport (6000
inhab.), beautifully situated on a promontory, and commanding a
charming view of the sea, the Bay of Nice, and the Alpes Mar-
itimes. A pier constructed by Vauban connects it with several
islands in the vicinity. The Cap d'Antibes (Hotel), 2]/4 M. from
the town, should be visited for the sake of the beautiful view
which it affords. — This portion of the line traverses a remark¬
ably rich and attractive district. It soon crosses the Var (Varus;
station), an impetuous mountain - torrent, which in modern, as
well as ancient times formed the boundary between France and
Italy, until in 1860 Nice was ceded to France, and the frontier
removed farther to the E.
140 M. Nice, see p. 110. From Nice to Genoa, see R. 16.
2. From Paris (Geneva) to Turin by Mont Cenis.
496 M. Railway in 22-3072 hrs. (fares 100fr. 20, 74 fr. 65, 51 fr. 25c).
From Paris to Macon (274 M.), see R. 1. The railway here
juits the Lyons line and turns to the left, crosses the Saone, and,
it stat. Pont-de-Veyle, the Veyle. In front and to the left a view
■f the Jura is obtained. The next place of importance is —
2971/2 M. Bourg (Hotels de VEurope, du Midi, de France),
with 14,000inhab., the ancient capital of Bresse, situated on the left
bank of the Reyzousse, 3/4 M. from the station. The church of Notre
Dame de Bourg, erected in the 15th-17th cent., in a variety
of styles , contains several pictures , sculptures , and fine wood-
carving. On the promenade Le Bastion is the *Monument of