Sabine Mts. T1VUL.1. environs of Rome. 365
other remains. By the present entrance are two more Theatres, and other
ruins, commonly called a Nymphaeum and Palaestra. The proper designa¬
tions of these, as well as the other remains, are far from being ascertained
with precision, especially as the plan of the whole establishment appears
to have been dictated by mere caprice.
The road ascends somewhat rapidly from the tomb of the Plautii
in windings which pedestrians may cut off. It passes the Tempio
della Tosse (p. 367), and reaches the gate of Tivoli below the Villa
Tivoli. — 'Regina , in the piazza, R. 2, D. 3'/2-4 fr.; Pace, also in
the town; Sibilla, beautifully situated near the temples, with view, R.
1-2 fr. according to bargain, pension 5 fr.
Donkeys and Guides to the waterfalls and back by the opposite bank,
i'/sfr. (3-4 fr. are generally demanded at first). Their services may well be
Tivoli, the Tibur of antiquity, existed, according to tradition,
as a colony of the Siculi long before the foundation of Rome. In
B.C. 380 Camillus subjugated Tibur along with Praneste, after
which it formed a member of the league of the Latin towns allied
with Rome. Hercules and Vesta were especially revered at Tibur.
Many of the Roman nobles, including Maecenas, and the emperor
Augustus himself, founded beautiful villas here ; under Hadrian the
splendour of the place attained its climax; and in the middle ages
it participated in the fate of Rome. In 1460 Pius II. founded the
citadel on the ruins of the amphitheatre. The modem town (7000
inhab.), with its narrow streets, offers few attractions beyond its
charming situation. It is moreover somewhat damp and windy,
especially in spring.
From the piazza, where the diligence office is situated, we pro¬
ceed in a straight direction to a small piazza near the bridge, by
which the high-road to Vicovaro, Subiaco, etc. (p. 367) crosses the
Anio above the falls. The Vicolo della Sibilla here leads to the,
left to the inn of that name (on the right), in the court of which is
situated the beautiful *Temple of the Sibyl, a circular edifice,
surrounded by a colonnade of eighteen Corinthian columns, ten of
which are preserved. This temple, called by other authorities that
of Vesta, or of Hercules Saxanus, was used as a church in the mid¬
dle ages, whence the round niche in the interior. The door and
windows contract at the top. It stands on a rock above the water¬
falls, of which it commands an admirable *View. — Close to the
Sibyl Inn is a small piazza with the church of S. Giorgio, which has
been incorporated with another fine old ancient temple of oblong
shape , with four Ionic columns in front, supposed to have been
dedicated to Tiburtus, or to the Sibyl.
The ruins visible from the projecting rock near the temple of
the Sibyl to the right, were caused by a serious inundation in 1826,
which carried away part of the village. To prevent the recurrence
of a similar disaster, a new course was formed for a part of the
water of the Anio, by the construction of two shafts through the