3()0 EnriionsofRome. ALBANO. Alban Mts.
again in the 11th cent, in the contests of the popes with the citizens
of Rome. In the 13th cent, it belonged to the Savelli, from whom
it came into the possession of the papal government in 1697. The
beauty of the neighbourhood renders Albano an attractive summer-
residence, but in the hottest season it is not exempt from fever.
The Albanian women are famous for the picturesqueness of their
costume, but it is now rarely seen, except sometimes on Sundays.
The wine of Albano is praised by Horace, and is still much esteemed.
In the upper part of the town, between the monastery of S. Paolo
and the loftily situated Capuchin monastery lay an Amphitheatre, the
scanty remains of which are seen from the road. The church of
S. Maria della Rotonda stands on the foundations of an ancient
circular temple. The ruins in the street of Gesil e Maria are sup¬
posed to be the remains of baths.
The Via Appia intersects Albano in a straight direction. Outside
the N. entrance of the town, to the right of the road, rise the re¬
mains of a large tomb, called without foundation the Tomb of Pom¬
pey. The avenue, diverging to the right by this tomb, is known as
the Galleria di Sotto, see below. •— On the S. side of the town, to
■the right on the road to Ariccia (to the left of the ancient road),
stands another ancient *Tomb in the Etruscan style, consisting of a
massive cube, originally surrounded by four obtuse cones, of which
two are still standing, with a fifth in the centre. It was formerly
supposed to be the tomb of the Horatii and Curiatii, and now, on no
better authority, is regarded as that ofArnns, a son of Porsena, who
was killed near Ariccia.
About ll/t M. to the N.W. of Albano lies Castel Gandolfo,
which is reached by two shady avenues of beautiful evergreen oaks:
the so-called *Galleria di Sopra, or 'upper gallery', beginning at
the Capuchin monastery above Albano, and affording fine views of
the lake; and the Galleria di Sotto, beginning near the tomb of
Pompey at the N.W. entrance to the town, passing the Villa Bar¬
berini and Castel Gandolfo, and leading to (33/4 M.) Marino (p. 357 ).
Castel Gandolfo, which belonged to the Savelli in the middle
ages, has been the property of the Popes since 1596. It is an in¬
significant place with a large Papal Palace, erected by Urban VIII.
from designs by Carlo Maderna, and splendidly situated high above
the precipitous margin of the Alban lake. The chateau was formerly
a favourite summer residence of the popes (including Pius IX.),
and by a law passed on 13th May, 1871, received the privilege of
The *Lake of Albano (964 It. above the sea-level, 490 ft. deep),
about 6 M. in circumference, is the crater of an extinct volcano, of
sombre and melancholy aspect, although its banks are well cultivat¬
ed. It is fed by abundant, subterraneous springs, and is drained by
a very ancient Emissarius which issues below Castel Gandolfo.