Alban Mts. MARINO. Environs of Rome. 357
A monument of Cardinal Consalvi, who died, of poison it was
believed, as abbot of Grotta Ferrata in 1824, and several ancient
sculptures are shown in the handsome Abbey. The small Madonna
over the altar is by Ann. Caracci; a bust of Domenichino is by Te¬
resa Benincampi, a pupil of Canova. Fairs held here on 25th March
and 8th Sept. attract numerous peasants from the neighbourhood,
as well as strangers from Rome.
About 2M. farther to theS., and reached either by footpaths or
by the high road, is Marino, a small town famous for its wine, and
picturesquely situated on an eminence of the Alban Mts., 1322 ft.
in height, the site of the ancient Castrimcenium. In the middle ages
it was a stronghold of the Orsini, who defended themselves here
against their enemies, particularly the Colonna; but the latter, un¬
der Martin V. in 1424, captured Marino and are still proprietors of
the place. The town contains a Corso, which is the principal street,
a Fountain, and a Cathedral dedicated to St. Barnabas. The church
of S. Trinita, to the left of the Corso, contains a Trinity by Guido
Reni. In the church of the Madonna delle Grazie, St. Rochus by
Domenichino. In the Cathedral a badly-preserved St. Bartholomew
The Marino Station on the Rome and Naples line is situated in the
Campagna, 3 M. distant (railway to Rome in 35 min.; fares 2 fr., 1 fr.
40 c, 1 fr.).
From the town of Marino a shady road, commanding extensive
views, leads through the Parco di Colonna, the well-wooded valley
of the Aqua Ferentina, a brook often mentioned in history as a
rallying-point of the Latins, to the Alban lake, and by Castel Gan-
dolfo to (3% M.) Albano, see p. 360.
From the Frascati and Marino road, there diverges at the
bridge in the valley, rather more than half-way to ,the latter, a
new road to Rocca di Papa, situated about 5 M. from Frascati (one-
horse carr. about 8 fr.). It may also be reached from Tusculum
(p. 355) direct in 1 '/.> hr. by field and forest-paths (guide necessary,
1-1 Va fr-)-
Rocca di Papa, a wretched little town with 2500 inhab., lying
on the brink of the great crater of Campo d'Annibale (see below), in
the midst of beautiful forest-scenery, is well adapted for a summer-
residence on account of its lofty situation (2647 ft.). Rooms, even
for one night, may be heard of at the Caffe dell' Aurora, in the
upper part of the town. The two Trattorie, one of which has a lo-
canda in connection with it, are very poor.
Ascending the steep streets of the town, we reach in 15-20 min.
the great crater of Campo d'Annibale, so named from the unfounded
tradition that Hannibal once pitched his camp here during his cam¬
paign against Rome. It is more,probable that the Romans were en¬
camped here at that period, to repel the attacks of the Carthaginians.