274 IV. Ancient Rome. ROME. Villa Massimo.
several good pictures of Italian masters, and copies of pictures from
We first traverse Two Rooms containing copies of paintings from the
catacombs of S. Calisto, SS. Nereo ed Achilleo, S. Pretestato, and others.
— In the third room are some sadly injured frescoes of the 12th cent.,
transferred hither from S. Agnese Fuori le Mura. — Hence to the right we
enter the picture gallery properly so called.
Room o. By the entrance-wall: ancient mosaic, pavement of an
unswept dining - room (asaroton), by Ileraclitus, found on the Aventine
in 1833. Above it, Stoning of Stephen, a cartoon by Giulio Romano.
Left wall: Christ and Thomas, cartoon by Camuccini. Between the win¬
dows: Descent from the Cross, rough sketch in colours by Dan. da Vol¬
terra (the finished fresco is in S. Trinita de' Monti, p. 143). The door in the
right wall leads into — Room b. Entrance-wall: Car. d'Arpino, Annunciation.
Right wall: Lawrence , George IV. of England. In the right corner is the
door lo a staircase ascending to the gallery of the adjoining saloon, on the
lloor of which is the extensive "Mosaic with 28 pugilists, found in the
Thernue of Caracalla in 1824, bearing obvious indications of the decline
of the art. — We retrace our steps, traverse Room a, and enter —
Room c. Entrance-wall: 'Madonna with SS. Lawrence, John the Bap¬
tist, Peter, Francis, Antonius the Abbot, and Dominicus, by Marco Palmezzano
of Forli, a pupil of Melozzo (1537). In the corner: Madonna with saints,
by <"'. Crivelli, altar-piece of 1481. Left wall: "Benozzo Gozzoli, St. Thomas
receiving the girdle from the Virgin, with predella (erroneously attributed
to Fiesole). Wall of egress : "Palmezzano, Madonna with John the Bapt. and
St. Jerome (1510). — Room d. Entrance -wall: Van Dyck (?), Portrait;
' C. Crivelli, Madonna (1482); Madonna, master unknown; Sassoferrato, Six¬
tus V. Left wail: two pieces of modern tapestry from the pictures of Fra
Bartoloinmeo in the Quirinal. Wall of egress : Christ with the tribute-money.
— Room e. Right wall: Venet. School, Entombment. Opposite the en¬
trance : And. del Sarto, Holy Family. Left wall: Cola della Matrice,
Assumption of the Virgin (1515). — Room /. Entrance - wall: Cesare da
Sesto ft), Baptism of Christ. Left wall: Luca Signorelli (1), St. Agnes; Fr.
Franeia, Annunciation; Luca Signorelli, SS. Lawrence and Benedict. Wall
of egress: Fra Filippo Lippi, Coronation of Mary. Window-wall: "St. Je¬
rome, tempera-picture by Giov. Santi, Raphael's father. — Room g. On
the left: Antonio da Murano, Altar-piece (1464). — Room h.: Large copy in
oils of a fresco by Domenichino, the Martyrdom of St. Andrew, original in
S. Gregorio (p. 2G0). — Room i.: Casts by Pettrich of Dresden repre¬
senting scenes from the life of the N. American Indians.
On the 3rd tloor of the palace is a *cast of Trajan's column,
which the custodian of the Museo Profano shows if desired. (Visit¬
ors should go before 9 a.m., as the custodian is generally engaged
at a later hour.)
Villa Massimo (PL II, 30; closed at present, see p. 118). Fin-
trance in the Piazza di S. Giovanni in Laterano, see p. 267.
The grounds are neither very extensive nor interesting, and the
antiquities are of little value ; but the *Casino contains some valu¬
able Frescoes from the great Italian poets, painted in 1821-28 by
The antechamber eontains a few mediocre ancient statues, and cabinets
Wi.li beautiful carving (Renaissance). The Central Room is adorned with
scenes from Ariosto by Srhnorr, 1827. Ceiling-painting: Nuptials of
Ruggiero and Lijilnniaiite and celebration of victory. blntranee - wall:
the Emperor Charles hastens to protect Paris against Agramant. In the
Incite above: Archangel Michael, 1. victorious combat of Kiualdo, r. Ro¬
land's contest wilb Agrauiant. Left wall: lo the left. The sorceress Melissa