to Rome. MACERATA. U. Route. 103
the Umbri. In the vicinity are mineral springs, known since 1510.
The train then enters the narrow Vol Topina, crosses the brook
several times, passes through a tunnel, and descends by Ponte
Centesimo to —
80 M. Foligno; thence to Rome, see p. 75 et seq.
High Boad from (Ancona) Civitanova to Foligno (Rome).
Hefore the completion of the Ancona and Home line, the mails were
forwarded by the Ancona and P.rindisi line as far as Porto Civitanova (p. 101)
from which they were sent hy corriere to Foligno in about 10 hrs. ; hut
there is now no regular communication hy this route.
The railway is quitted at Civitanova. The road ascends the fertile
valley of the Chienti, affording views of the rocky summits of the Central
Apennines, which are covered with snow until late in summer. The Sibilla
(9tll ft.) group first becomes visible. The country is well cultivated, and
the villages are prosperous.
16 31. Macerata (Pace; Posta), a flourishing town with about 20,000
inhab., capital of the province of Macerata, picturesquely situated on the
heights between the valleys of the Chienti and Potenza , possesses a uni¬
versity, an agricullural academy, etc. It was the birthplace of the erudite
Giovanni Crescimbcni, the founder of the Unman academy of Arcadians
(1663, d. in Home 1728), and also of Matteo Jiicci, the missionary (d. at
Tekin, 1609). In the Cathedral a Madonna with St. Francis and St." .Julian,
ascribed to Perugino. In S. Giovanni an Assumption of the Virgin by Lan-
franco. The Palazzo Municipale and the Pal. Compagnoni contain in¬
scriptions and antiquities from llelvia Ricina (p. lOt), after the destruction
of which the modern towns of Recanati and Macerata sprang up. Macerata
also possesses a public Library and a triumphal arch, called the Porta J'ia.
Outside the gate, 3/* M. from the town, is the church of the Madonna della
Vcn/inc, ascribed to Hramantr.
"|AI»out 6 M. to the S.W. of Macerata (3 M. E. of Tolentino) is the
village of Urbisaglia, the Rinnan Urbs Salvia, with extensive ruins, amphi¬
theatre, walls, baths, etc.]
The mad continues to traverse a fertile tract on the bank of the Chienti.
28l/2 M. Tolentino (Corona), the ancient Totentinum Picenum, on the
Chienti, with -i000 inhab.,. possesses a remarkable Gothic gateway, and was
formerly strongly fortified. The town-hall in the Piazza contains a tew an¬
tiquities. The cathedral of 8. Niccolb di Tolentino is entered by a Gothic
vestibule. In the interior, rich carving on the ceiling, and frescoes from tin
life of St. Nicholas, by Lorenzo and Jacopo da San Severino. The chapel of
the saint contains two paintings, the Fire at St. Mark's at Venice, and the
Plague in Sicily, ascribed to Tintoretto and Paolo Veronese^!) respectively.
The environs are picturesque, and command fine views of the mountains. —
The learned Francis Philelphus , one of the first scholars who studied and
disseminated classical literature, was born here in 1388.
[San Severino, 6 M. to the N.W. of Tolentino, in the valley of the Po¬
tenza, arose from the ruins of the ancient Septempeda. In the church del
Castello, frescoes by Diotisaivi dyAngehtzzo, and an altar-piece by Niccolb da
Foligno (1468)} in the sacristy of the Duomo Nuovo a Madonna by Pinturicchio.
S. Lorenzo stands on the site of an ancient temple. Inscriptions and anti¬
quities in the town-hall, and at the residence of the Conte Servanzi-Collio.
From San Severino I2l/a M. to Camerino (diligence daily, 1 fr.), the an¬
cient Co uterinum Uinbrorion, situated on a height at the foot of the
Apennines. This was once the capital of the Umbrian Camertes, who during
the Samnite wars allied themselves with Rome against the Etruscans. It is
now the chief town of the province, with 5000 inhab., a university, and a
bishopric (founded in 252). The cathedral of S. Sovino occupies the site of
a temple of Jupiter; in front, of it stands a bronze Statue of Pope Sixtus V.,
of 1587. The painter Carlo Marat/a was born here in 1625 (d. at Rome in
1713). — From Camerino to (6 M.) La Muccia, on the Roman road, sec below.