102 Route U. FABRIANO. From Ancona
to leave room for the road, which here passes through a wild ra¬
vine, frequently endangered by falling rocks. The railway pene¬
trates Monte Rosso by a long tunnel, crosses the river repeatedly,
and at length reaches the pleasant valley of Fabriano. — 37 M.
About 7'/s M. to the S. lies Matelica, a town with 4000 inhab., pos¬
sessing pictures by Palmezzano and Eusebio di S. Giorgio in the church
of S. Francesco, and a small picture gallery in the Pal. Piersanti. From
Matelica to Camerino (p. 103) 3'/2 M., to San Severino (p. 103) 11 M.
441/2 M. Fabriano (Leon d'Oro; Campana), a prosperous town
with 17,500 inhab. (incl. suburbs), noted for its paper-manufactories,
and situated near the sites of the ancient Tuficum and Attidium,
which have long since been destroyed. The Town Hall contains an¬
cient inscriptions and a small collection of pictures; the Campanile
opposite bears an absurdly extravagant inscription with regard to
the unity of Italy. The churches of <S. Niccolb, S. Benedetto, S.
Agostino, and <S. Lucia, as well as the private houses Casa Morichi
and Fornari, contain pictures of the school of painting which once
flourished here. Gentile da Fabriano ('.'1370-1450; see p. 48), the
chief master of the school, is remarkable for the softness and deli¬
cacy of his style. The Marchese Possenti possesses a very valuable
•■"collection of objects in ivory.
From Fabriano a good mountain-road (9 M.) leads by the picturesque
La Genga to the lofty Sassoferrato, situated in a fertile valley, consisting
of the upper and lower town, with 2000 inhab., and possessing interesting
churches and pictures. Giambattista Salvi, surnamed Sassoferrato, was
born here in 1605; he was especially noted for his Madonnas, and died at
Rome in 1685. S. Pietro contains a Madonna by him. In the vicinity are the
ruins of the ancient Senlinum, where, B. C. 296, the great decisive battle took
place between the Romans and the allied Samnites, Gauls, Umbrians, and
Etruscans, in which the consul Ilccius heroically sacrificed himself. The
Roman supremacy over the whole of Italy was thus established.
Beyond Fabriano the train skirts the brook Giano, penetrates
the central chain of the Apennines by a tunnel l'/4 M. in length,
and reaches —
54y.j M. Fossato (diligence to Gubbio throe times daily, see
p. 95), where it enters the broad valley of the Chiascio. To the
left on the hill is the village of Palazzolo, to the right Pellegrino;
farther on, to the left, Palazzo and S. Facondino.
58 M. Gualdo Ttidino is a small town with 7000 inhab., near
uhich, about 2 M. from the railway, lie the insignificant ruins
of the ancient Tadinum. Here in 552 Narses defeated and slew
the Ostrogothic king Totilas , and, in consequence of this victory,
lie soon afterwards took possession of Rome. The church of S. Fran¬
cesco contains an altar-piece by Niccolb da Foligno, of 1471. The
cathedral possesses a fine rose-window; in the sacristy pictures by
Niccolb da Foligno.
The train now gradually descends to (69 M. ) Nocera, an epis¬
copal town, occupying the site of the ancient Nuceria, a city of