d. The Lungara. ROME. IV. Right Bank. 313
celebrated pictures for churches, etc. The material used is a kind of
coloured glass, of which there are said to be 25,000 different shades.
— The papal Armoury and the Mint (La Zecca ; now in the hands
of government) near the Vatican contain a few objects of interest,
e.g. ali the papal coins from the time of Hadrian L, and most of the
dies since Martin V.
d. The Lungara.
The Borgo is connected with Trastevere by the Via dblla Lun¬
gara, ~/aM. in length, constructed by Julius II. The Borgo is
quitted by the Porta di S. Spirito (PI. II, 9 ; p. 268), begun by
Antonio da Sangallo the Younger, and occupying nearly the same
site as the old Gate of the Saxons. — Immediately to the right
diverges a broad road ascending the hill in a curve. This is the N.
approach to the Passeggiata Margherita, described on p. 321. At
the top it traverses the former garden of the convent of S. Onofrio,
whither also the steep Via di S. Onofrio ascends direct in 5 min.
from the gateway.
S.Onofrio (PI. II, 9), on the slope ofthe Janiculum, erected about
1430 in honour of the Egyptian hermit Honuphrius, is adjoined by
a monastery of the order of St. Jerome. The church and monastery
are preceded by a colonnade of eight columns ; in the lunettes to the
right are three frescoes from the life of St. Jerome by Domenichino
(Baptism, Chastisement, Trance). If the church is closed, visitors
ring (r.) at the door of the monastery (^2 fr-)-
Left Side. The lst Chapel contains the tomb of the poet Torquato
Tasso, who died in this monastery in 1595; the monument was erected by
Pius IX. in 1857, the statue is by De Fabris. In the 2nd chapel, the tomb¬
stone of the linguist Card. Mezzofanti (d. 1849). — Right Side. The 2nd
chapel contains a Madonna, altar-piece by Ann. Carracci. At the end of the
right wall : monument of Archbp. Giov. Sacchi (d. 1505) ; in the lunette
St. Anna teaching the Madonna to read, by Pinturicchio. The Tribune
contains restored frescoes by Bald. Peruzzi.
The Monastery contains, in a passage on the first floor, a Ma¬
donna with the donor, an admirable fresco of the school of Leonardo
da Vinci (Boltraffio?), which has unfortunately been much injured
by retouching (the attitude of the raised arm of the child, for ex¬
ample, has been entirely spoiled). The celi is stili shown in which
Tasso resided, when about to receive the laurels on the Capitol, and
in which he died , 25th Aprii, 1595. It contains his bust in wax,
taken ftom the cast of his face, his portrait (by Balbi, 1864), auto-
graph, etc. — On the hill-slope, to the left of the monastery, are
the remains of an oak (shattered by lightning in 1842 and again
seriously injured by a storm in 1891), under which Tasso was in
the habit of sitting. Admirable view.
In the Lungara, farther on, to the left, is a chain-bridge (PI. II,
9, 12 ; toll 5 e) ; on the opposite bank rises S. Giovanni dei Fiorentini
(p. 192). Opposite the bridge, in the Lungara, is the extensive