EgyptiantyEtruscanMus. ROME. IV. Right Bank. 307
it formerly belonged), in Parian marble (comp. pp. 156, 210) ; 117.
Claudius ; *120. Satyr Reposing, after Praxiteles (p. xliv ; a better
copy in the Capitoline Museum, p. 208) ; 123. Lucius Verus ; *126.
Doryphorus, after Polycletus (p. xliii) ; 129. Domitian ; *132. Mer¬
cury, restored by Canova (head ancient, but belonging to a dif¬
Egyptian Museum. *Etruscan Museum.
Comp. Pian, p. 295.
The Egyptian Museum (Museo Egizio), the entrance to which
is from the Sala a Croce Greca (p. 297), dose to the steps, is below
the Etruscan Museum, in the so-called Torre de' Venti. Pius VII.
purchased the nucleus of the collection from Andrea Gaddi; and
the museum was much extended by him and by Gregory XVI. It
contains few objects of great interest, but may be visited for the sake
of comparing Egyptian with Hellenic and Italian art
lst Room : Three coffins of mummies in green basalt, and two in painted
wood. — 2nd R.: Statues, chiefly from Hadrian's villa near Tivoli, of Roman
workmanship in the Egyptian style (p. xlix). The Nile, in black marble.
Colossal statue of Antinous, the favourite of Hadrian, in white marble.
Fine architectural fragments, found in the precincts of the tempie of Isis
(p. 167). — 3rd R. : Egyptian colossal statues : (1) Mother of Ramses (Se-
sostris), in black granite, between (2) two lions of basalt, from the Ther-
mse of Agrippa (p. 182), which formerly long adorned the Fontanone dell'
Acqua Felice (p. 144) ; (3) Ptolemy Philadelphus, to the left of him, his
Queen Arsinoe, in red granite (from the gardens of Sallust, p. 142). —
4th R. : Statuettes, idols, and alabaster vases. — óth R. (vaulted corridor) :
Mummies, sarcophagi. Eight statues of the lion-headed goddess Pasht, from
the ruins of Carnac. — 6th R. : Small idols, mostly in vitreous paste. —
7th R. : Small bronzes, including a situla, or bucket-shaped vessel, used in
the worship of Isis. — 8th R. : Ornaments ; scarabsei (stones cut in the
shape ofbeetles), etc. — 9th R. : Papyrus MSS. — lOth R. : Coptic inscrip¬
tions, hieroglyphics, cuneiformi inscriptions. Small replica of the Nile in
the Braccio Nuovo (p. 306). Model of a pyramid.
Behind the Egyptian Museum is a room about to be occupied by
the Assyrian Antiquities from the excavations at Nineveh (1847),
presented to Pius IX. in 1855. The collection includes : Reliefs from
the palace of Sanherib (704-680 B.C.) : God with a bird's head,
Storming of a city, Punishment of captives, Raft crossing a river,
Arehers and other soldiers, etc. ; also, a long inscription from a build¬
ing of king Sargon (721-701 B.C.) ; inscription in Nabataeic letters,
from the 39thyear of KingAretas ofDamascus (2nd Corinth. xi, 32).
Ascending as indicated at p. 297 to the passage into which the
Sala della Biga and the Galleria dei Candelabri (p. 297) open, and
turning to the left, up a few steps, we reach on the right the
entrance to the —
*Etruscan Museum (Museo Etrusco Gregoriano ; visitors knock
at the door; comp. ground-plan, p.295). The museum, founded by
Gregory XVI. in 1836, contains in its twelve rooms a number of
antiquities excavated chiefly in 1828-36 in Vulci, Toscanella, and
Chiusi, and other Etruscan cities, consisting of statues, paintings,