304 IV. Right Bank. ROME. e. The Vatican;
mann in one of his famous odes, ali critics are agreed ; but many
conflicting opinions have been expressed regarding the action
intended to be pourtrayed. Formerly it was usually supposed that
Hercules had been grouped with a figure standing in front of him
(perhaps Hebe or Auge) ; another conjecture was that he was alone,
leaning on a staff grasped with both hands on his left side ; while
the most recent view is that he was playing on the lyre . — Oppo¬
site the window, *2. Sarcophagus of L. Corn. Scipio Barbatus,
great-grandfather of the illustrious Africanus, and consul B.C. 298,
of peperino-stone, with aremarkable inscription in Saturnine verse,
recording his virtues and achievements ; it was found in 1780 in the
tomb of the Scipios on the Via Appia (see p. 248 ; comp. also p. liii),
at the same time as that of his son L. Corn. Scipio, consul B.C. 259,
and that of P. Corn. Scipio (son of Africanus), flamen dialis, whose
inscriptions are built into the surrounding walls. The bust on the
sarcophagus has been groundlessly regarded as the poet Ennius.
We next enter (comp. ground-plan, p. 295) the —
*Museo Chiaramonti, arranged in one half of a corridor 22 ft.
wide and 310 yds. long, which is divided by pilasters into thirty
sections numbered with Roman numerals. The museum contains
300 sculptures in marble, many of them small and fragmentary.
[The door to the right leads to the Giardino della Pigna, to which vis¬
itors are not now admitted, containing numerous fragments of statues and
reliefs. In the middle is a huge antique column, surmounted by a bronze
statue of St. Peter, erected here in 1886 to commemorate the Council of
1870. On the right are a colossal Pìne-cone, the work of a certain P. Cincins
Salvius, which was placed in the middle ages in the fore-court of old St.
Peter's Church, and the pedestal of the column in honour of Antoninus Pius,
which stood near Monte Citorio, adorned with the Apotheosis of Antoninus
and Faustina and processions of warriors. On the left is a colossal portrait-
head in marble. — 'Il Boscareccio\ or the larger Garden of the Vatican,
which is also now closed to the public, extends to the walls of the Leon¬
ine city, and is beautifully laid out in the Italian style. To the left of
the entrance, at the base of an eminence planted with trees, stands the
Casino del Papa, built by Pirro Ligorio in 1560.]
As the entrance was formerly at the other end, the numbers now
begin with Section XXX. Left: 733. Recumbent Hercules (freely
restored). — XXIX. Left: 704. Ulysses handing the goblet to Poly-
phemus; 698. Cicero, from Roma Vecchia; 693. Wreathed head
of Hercules, after-Scopo* (p. xliv). —XXVIII. Left: 682. Colossal
statue of Antoninus Pius, from Hadrian's Villa. — XXVII. Left :
655. Narcissus (erroneously restored) ; above, *644. Dancing Women,
relief. — XXVI. Left: 636. Hercules and Telephus. — XXV.
Left : *607. Head of Neptune, in Pentelic marble, from Ostia ; right,
621. Statuette of the Egyptian god Bes. — XXIV- Right: 591.
Claudius; left, 588. Bacchus with a satyr; 587. Ganymede. —
XXHI. Left : 563. Portrait-bust; above, 550. Square marble slab,
with a shield of Medusa in the centre. — XXII. Right: 547. Isis;
left, 544. Silenus. — XXI. Left: *513A. Head of Venus in Greek
marble, found in the Baths of Diocletian; 512. Marius (?); 510A.