202 IH. Southern Quarters. ROME. a. The Capitol;
interspersed with barbarie trophies and weapons, which were found
in the Piazza di Pietra (p. 162) ; also a colossal head, perhaps of
Domitian. — In the centre of the colonnade opposite the entrance,
a statue of Roma; at the sides statues of barbarians in grey marble.
To the left, in the corner, a colossal bronze head ; right, a noteworthy
antique group of a horse torn by a lion, said to have been restored
by Michael Angelo.
In the Entrance - Hall : opposite the staircase, 30. Modera
'columna rostrata', with the antique fragment of an inscription in
honour of C. Duilius, the Victor at Myl», B.C. 260 (the early originai
was probably replaced at the beginning of the imperiai period by
the extant marble copy). Below the window is a statue of Charles
of Anjou, King of Sicily (till 1870 in the large Hall of the Capitol),
who was senator of Rome in 1263-66, 1268-78, and 1281-84.
On each side of the Staircase are Roman inscriptions built into
the wall, most of which were found on the Esquiline. — On the
landing of the staircase is a pedestal with a list of streets in the lst,
lOth, 12th, 13th, and 14th regions of ancient Rome, dating from
136 A.D. Built into the walls are four notewoTthy reliefs from a
triumphal arch of M. Aurelius, found near S. Martina in the Forum :
on the right, 44. Sacrifice in front of the Capitoline tempie ; on the
long wall, 43. Entry of the emperor; 42. Pardon of conquered
enemies ; 41. His reception by Roma at the triumphal gate. Also
ancient inscriptions. — On the left, above the landing, No. 43.
Relief, Curtius on horseback leaping into the gulf (15th or 16th
cent.). — In the passage above, two reliefs from the triumphal arch
of M. Aurelius (p. 161), representing an oration of Marcus Aurelius
and the apotheosis of Faustina. On the left is the entrance to the
Collections described below. — Admission, see pp. 126, 127. Comp.
the Pian, p. 204.
We traverse two Rooms with modem lists of Roman magistrates,
and enter a long Corridor containing the so-called Protomoteca,
a collection of busts of celebrated Italians (especially in the domains
of science and art), the nucleus of which was formed by the busts
removed from the Pantheon in 1820 by order of Pius VII. To the
right of the entrance is a bust of Pius VII. by Canoua; at the end
of the corridor is a monument to Canova by L. Fabris. Several emin-
ent foreigners have also been admitted : e.g. (1.) Winckelmann,
(r.) Poussin and Raphael Mengs. On the walls are old plans and
views of Rome. — The second door to the right in this passage is
the entrance to the New Capitoline Museum (see below), while the
last door but two leads to the picture-gallery (p. 205), and the last
but one leads up two steps to the 7th, 6th, and 5th rooms of the New
Capitoline Museum (pp. 205, 204).
The *New Capitoline Collection contains chiefly the bronzes
and the antiques found during the construction of the new streets of
the E. quarter of the city, which become municipal property (p. 146).