Piazza del Campidoglio. ROME. III.-Southern Quarters. 201
stone of the ancient Via Appia, and on the left the seventh, found
at Torricola in 1660.
In the centre of the piazza rises the admirable *Equestrian Statue
of Marcus Aurelius (161-181), in bronze, once gilded, which stood
near the Lateran in the middle ages, and was, as the inscription
records, transferred hither in 1538. Its originai position is unknown.
It owes its excellent preservation to the popular belief that it was a
statue of Constantine, the first Christian emperor (see pp. xxx, 1).
The height of the pedestal, which is said to have been designed by
Michael Angelo, is skilfully calculated so as to permit spectators to
inspect even the head of the statue.
Behind this monument rises the Palazzo del Senatore (PI. II,
20), which was re-erected by Boniface IX. in 1389 on the site of the
ancient Tabularium (p. 212), andprovided with its handsome flight of
steps by Michael Angelo (p. 200). The facade, slightly altered from
Michael Angelo's design, was constructed by Girol. Rainaldi (1592).
The river-gods which adorn it are the Tiber (right) and Nile (left) ; in
the centre is a fountain, above which is a sitting statue of Rome from
Cori (comp. p. 385). The palace contains a spacious hall, for the
meetings of the civic council, the offices of the ci vie administration,
dwellings, and an observatory. The Campanile by Martino Lunghi
the Elder was erected in 1572, to replace an older one, probably
belonging (like the four corner-towers, one of which towards the
Forum, on the left, is stili recognisable) to the edifice of Boniface.
The roof, which is adorned with a standing figure of Roma, commands
an extensive view (ascent, see p. 212).
The two palaces at the sides now contain the Capitoline Col¬
lections. The Palace of the Conservatori, or town-counoil, on the
right, was rebuilt in 1564-68 after Michael Angelo's plans by Pros¬
pero Boccapaduli and Tommaso de' Cavalieri; the Capitoline Museum
(p.206), on the left, was erected in 1644 by Girol. Rainaldi. — The
flights of steps and triple-arched colonnades on the E. side of these
palaces were erected by Vignola (ca. 1550) ; that to the left behind
the Capitoline Museum leads to the church of S. Maria in Aracoeli
(p. 199) ; that to the right, on the opposite side, to Monte Caprino
On the right of the Palace of the Senators runs the Via del
Campidoglio, and on the left the Via dell' Arco di Settimio Severo
(p. 228), both descending to the Forum.
A. *Palaee of the Conservatori.
The prinoipal door leads from the Piazza del Campidoglio into
the Court. By the right wall of the court are the hands, arm, and
feet of a colossal figure in marble ; and the cinerary urn of Agrippina,
wife of Germanicus, which in the middle ages was employed as a
measure for corn. By the left wall are alto-reliefs of Roman provinces,