HE incorporation of a Methodist College in Georgia was authorized in 1836
by the State Conference then in session at Columbus, Ga., and trustees
were immediately appointed to select a suitable place for the institution.
After much investigation the present location about forty miles from
Atlanta, was selected. Then about fourteen hundred acres having been
purchased and laid off in streets and lots, two or three buildings were
erected on the campus, a few dwellings arose in the new township, and
the enterprise was launched.
At the suggestion of Dr. Ignatius A. Few, the little town was given the classic name of
Oxford in honor of the great English University. The name Emory was given the college
as a tribute to the memory of Bishop John Emory, who was killed a few years prior to the
founding of the college in an unfortunate carriage accident.
In 1838 the doors of the college were first opened for the reception of students, and four
years later the first class of three men was graduated. The college then consisted of two
or three buildings in a town of perhaps less than seventy-five inhabitants. During the
years that have followed, one thousand, four hundred and eighty seven young men have
received diplomas from the institution, ten handsome college buildings now adorn the
campus, and the little village of Oxford has grown to a town with a population of over six
The growth of Emory in the sixty-nine years of her career has been marked. From al¬
most obscurity she has become to be recognized as one of the best and most powerful insti¬
tutions in the State. With a curriculum which is practically second to none, and a faculty
composed of some of the best known educators in the South, she has surpassed every other
denominational institution in Georgia and now vies with the State University alone for
The life of the college has extended through the administration of twelve presidents,
and each year has witnessed progress and development. It was during the administration
of Dr. A. G. Haygood that the college first began to take on new life. Mr. George I. Seney,
of Brooklyn, N. Y., who was deeply interested in the institution, donated a hundred thousand
dollars toward the handsome building now known as Seney Hall.
Under the presidency of Bishop W. A. Candler, one hundred thousand dollars were
added to the endowment of the college. The new Library Building, known as Candler
Hall, was then erected at a cost of twenty-five thousand dollars.
Pierce Science Hall was added a few years later in the administration of Dr. C. E. Dow-
man, and last year, as a result of the efforts of President James E. Dickey, a handsome
new Gymnasium was completed at a cost of over thirty thousand dollars. Funds are now
being received for the erection of a handsome auditorium and college chapel on the college
grounds which will be known as the Young J. Allen Memorial, a tribute to the memory
of the late Young, J. Allen, one of Emory's most illustrious sons.
The original [dan of a circular campus has not been detroyed during these years, by
the addition of new buildings; the idea has been excellently maintained, and to-day this
great, green circle, bound by a natural hedge of the fragant honey-suckle and studded
with great trees, many of them monuments to some departed class, is indeed an attractive
and beautiful sight. Near the center of the circle stands the monument to Dr. Ignatius A.
Few, the first president and one of the founders of the institution. Numerous gravel
walks, like broad yellow bands, lead here and there through the grass, while the great
encircling buildings over-looking the campus give a distinct modern touch to Nature's