Junius, Hadrianus, 1511-1575.; Kampen, Geeraard Jansen van, fl. 1564-1589,; Nicolai, Arnaud,; Ballain, Geoffroy, 16th cent.,; Huys, Pieter, 1519-1581,; Junius, Hadrianus, 1511-1575.; Plantin, Christophe, ca. 1520-1589,; Abrams, George, 1919-2001,
Collection: Early Northern European Books
Publisher: Antuerpiae : Ex officina Christophori Plantini
- 1st ed.; see Voet, Landwehr.
- "Excvdebat Christophorvs Plantinvs Antverpiae, anno M.D.LXV. Idibvs Maii"--Colophon.
- The Aenigmatum libellus has special t.p.
- Reading from top to bottom, the single page devoted to each of the 58 emblems consists of a brief statement of the topic, in some cases a dedication to a prominent person, the woodcut ill., and a four-line explanation in verse. Additional explanation in prose for each emblem follows on p. 65-149.
- Plantin's compasses device appears on both t.p.'s. Blocks for the ill. were mostly cut by Gerard Janssen van Kampen, with a few by Arnaud Nicolai. The ill. for emblems X and XIX have the letter G for Gerard. Geoffroy Ballain provided 52 of the drawings, Pieter Huys the remainder; see Voet. The pages of the 1st title and the t.p. of the 2nd have borders of typographical fleurons. Two decorated initials.
- From an ed. of 1250; see Voet.
- List of authors cited, p. -.
- Signatures: A-I⁸ K⁴ *⁸.
- Voet, L. Plantin press,
- Landwehr, J. Emblem and fable books printed in the low countries,
- Electronic reproduction.
- The online edition of this book in the public domain, i.e., not protected by copyright, has been produced by the Emory University Digital Library Publications Program.
- Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library copy has bookplates of Charles Chauncy, M.D. and George Abrams; has unidentified armorial bookplate.