The incorporation of a Methodist College in Georgia was author¬
ized in 1836 by the State Conference, then in session at Columbus,
Ga., and trustees were immediately appointed to select a suitable
place for the Institution. Fourteen hundred acres of land, forty
miles from Atlanta, were purchased, laid off into streets and lots
and selected for the location. Two buildings were erected on this
vast area of land and the enterprise was launched.
The little town was given the classic name of Oxford, at the sug¬
gestion of Dr. Ignatius A. Few, in honor of the great English Uni¬
versity. The name Emory was given to the College as a tribute
to the memory of Bishop John Emory, who was accidentally killed
a few years prior to the opening of the Institution.
In 1838 the doors were thrown open for students and, four years
later, witnessed the graduation of her first class, consisting of three
men. The College then had only two or three buildings and the
little town a population of seventy-five inhabitants. During the
years that have gone by, sixteen hundred young men have gone out
from their Alma Aaater to bless the world, filling the various walks
of life. Eleven magnificent buildings adorn the campus, and the little
town of Oxford has grown to a population of more than eight hundred.
Emory's growth for the past seventy-four years has been ex¬
celled by no Institution in the State. With a curriculum second to
none and a Faculty composed of the very highest type of educators
she is setting a pace that will be hard to surpass.
When we remember that such men as Bishop A. G. Haygood,
Dr. C. E. Dowman, Bishop W. A. Candler and our own beloved
President Dr. James E. Dickey have stood at the helm of the insti¬
tution, the greater part of the rapid progress which she has made
is explained in the untiring efforts of these Christian gentlemen.
The $500,000 endowment fund has been completed under the
present administration of Dr. James E. Dickey, and we can see that
the time is not far distant when a theological department will be
added, the Faculty increased, the enrollment doubled, and Emory
the leading Methodist Institution in the South. May every Emory
man feel that he has a part in bringing these things to pass.