The condition of Colored Public Schools generally, was formerly not
as good as that of the Charity schools, but they have improved very
much within a few years past. Owing to remissness on the part of
parents, about twelve years ago the Grammar schools were on the point
of being given up. The alarm was given—public meetings were held by
the colored people, and an agent of their own appointed to visit from house
to house and urge the people to duty. Our Board was also actively en¬
gaged 4n the matter. The schools were saved, and for the last three
years have so increased in numbers that one teacher has been added to
each school, making the full complement. The school house has re¬
cently been remodelled.
Within the past year very marked changes have taken place in the
West Philadelphia school, and the St. Mary's street Primary school.
The former has been removed from the hovel in which it was so
long kept, to the basement of the Colored Baptist Church, and has so
increased in numbers that the Directors have added another teacher, and
are desirous of getting a still larger room. The latter school has been
removed from its former bad location to the basement story of the
Grammar schools in Sixth street, which has been fitted up on purpose
for its accommodation. Since its removal, the better class of parents
do not object to sending their children to it, and the number of scholars
has increased so much that extra seats have been introduced.
2. Charity Schools.*
Institute for Colored Youth, (a) Lombard street above Seventh. Es¬
tablished in 1852. Charles L. Reason, Principal, Grace Mapes, assist¬
ant Teacher in the Female deparatment. Males 15 ; Females 16 ; total
31; average attendance 26.
Raspberry Street Schools, (a) corner of Locust and Raspberry streets,
Established in 1770. Boys' School, John W. Stokes, Principal, and one
female assistant; total 90; average attendance 64. Girls' School,
Martha Cox, Principal, and one assistant; total 79; average attend.
Jldelphi School,(a) Wager street. The Girls' department established
in 1838, the Infant department in 1835. Girls' department, Anna M.
Kite, Principal, and one assistant; total 70; average attendance 42. In¬
fant department, Catharine Shipley, Principal, and one assistant; total
95; average attendance 61.
Sheppard School, (a) Randolph street above Parrish. Established
* The year of these schools begins about the first of September, and ends
with the following summer vacation.