154 A SCHOOL HISTORY OF THE
Missionary Association for schools and churches in
the South is estimated at $1200.
The Presbyterian Church has not spread as
rapidly among the Negroes as some other forms
of belief, and yet within the past twenty-five years
that church has taken a strong hold among them,
chiefly in Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida,
and Tennessee. Within the territory embraced in
these States, there are 2 Synods, 10 Presbyteries,
200 ministers, 250 churches, 18,000 communicants,
and 15,000 Sabbath-school scholars. Except twelve
or fifteen ministers, and a few score members,
these synods are composed of Negroes, who con¬
trol the affairs of the churches and schools. They
are in ecclesiastical fellowship with the Northern
Presbyterian Church. Their organ is the Africo-
American Presbyterian, published at Charlotte, N.
C, by the Africo-American Presbyterian Publishing
Company, with Rev. D. J. Sanders, D.D., as editor.
This journal has a wide circulation.
Educational Work of the Presbyterians.—'
Under the auspices of the Presbyterians are Lincoln
University, Oxford, Pennsylvania, which is their
leading institution for educating colored men, and
from which more Negro graduates have gone out,
into all the professions and as ministers and teach¬
ers, into the different denominations, than from any
similar school in the country; Biddle University,