MEN OF MARK.
ing paid for, and both in the hands of the sheriff. He
raised money and paid the indebtedness and finished the
church at a cost of $8000. In 1881 he returned to Shelby -
ville, Kentucky, and while pastoring the church there he
saw the great necessity for a building for a graded school.
He laid the matter before the people, then met the trustees
of the town, and with their approval, bargained and
bought a brick building with eight rooms and nearly four
acres of ground, for $2150; was instrumental in establish¬
ing the school and the employment of four teachers. In
1884 he was sent to Ashbury Chapel, Louisville, and
rebuilt the church which had previously been destroyed by
fire, and was successful in raising $2150, and paid it in the
hands of the trustees.
At the close of the late war, he was appointed missionary
at large for the states of Kentucky and Tennessee, and
received into the connection a large number of churches
and members, the exact number of which it would be im¬
possible for him to give, as they are received into the
country churches, but the number was many thousand. He
lives in the city of Louisville, and is respected very highly
for his earnestness in Christian work, and his faithfulness
in every department of life.