[ no ]
16. 1st AFRICAN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This building stands on South Seventh St., near the corner of
Shippen St. The exterior of this building is very plain, the interior
very creditable ; as it has been very recently remodelled. It will
seat very comfortably about 900 persons. The church was founded
in 1807, and at present numbers about 180 communicant members.
There is a Sabbath-school attached, consisting of 61 children, 2 male
and 3 female teachers. There is a library attached of 271 volumes.
The property is valued at $8,000.
17. SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This is a fine, modern built brick edifice, 37 by 51, located in St.
Mary St., between South Sixth and Seventh Sts., founded in 1824,
then Old School, but now under the New School. The interior of the
church is very neat; it will seat about 450 persons comfortably.
There is a basement to this church ; it is divided into lecture room,
session room, and a minister's studio. Through a division that took
place whereby nearly one-half of the members left, there are now but
75 persons members of the church. There is a Sabbath-school con¬
nected with the church, containing 30 children, 3 male and 3 female
teachers. The property is valued at $6,000.
18. CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This church was founded in 1844 by Rev. Stephen Gloucester,
a son of Rev. John Gloucester. The edifice is a very fine brick
building, tastily finished externally. Within, it is very handsomely
completed in its architecture and furniture. The building is 60 feet
long by 38 feet wide, and will seat comfortably about 600 persons.
It has a basement with a lecture room, session room, and minister's
studio, with a fine library attached. There are 260 members in com¬
munion. There is a Sabbath-school of 75 children, 6 male and 6
female teachers. The property is valued at $15,000.
To sum up the aggregate of all these churches, we arrive at the
18 churches capable of accommodating 11,000 persons.
4354 communicant members.