C 109 ]
any of our churches. It is located in Little Pine St., between South
Sixth and Seventh Sts. The property is valued at $5,000.
13. SHILOH BAPTIST CHURCH.
Located near corner Clifton and South Sts. Was organized in
1842, Rev. John F. Raymond, minister. The building is of brick, 54
by 40 feet in dimension ; it has a basement with lecture room and mi¬
nister's studio. The audience room is of plain, neat finish, and will
seat comfortably about 600 persons. There are 225 members in
communion with this church. A Sabbath-school with 85 scholars
and 8 teachers, 7 of which are females. The entire property is valued
14. CHURCH OF THE CRUCIFIXION.
This church was organized in 1850, and is under the Protestant
Episcopal Mission, better known as the Episcopal Mission Station,
and under the supervision of the Rev. George Bringhurst. It is located
in South Eighth St., between Shippen ancl South. It is a brick build¬
ing about 55 feet long by 40 feet wide, and will seat about 500 per¬
sons. There is no basement; the audience room being on the first
floor, includes the entire inner space from the floor to the rafters, which
gives it a very airy as well as commodious appearance. The finish is
very plain, though neat; it has recently been remodelled. This
church was originally intended for poor colored people, and was to
be considered a free church as it still is ; but such was the increase
of white people upon the ministry of Mr. Bringhurst, that it was
found necessary to receive white persons to membership. There are,
however, in communion with this church 50 colored members, 300
colored Sabbath-school children, taught by 20 white teachers, males
and females, who have devoted their attention and time to their-reli¬
gious culture. In connection, there is a day (parochial) school,
comprising 80 scholars.
15. UNION METHODIST CHURCH.
Located in Little Pine St. between Sixth and Seventh Sts. Was
founded in 1837 ; contains about 100 members. The house is a
small brick building, about 18 feet wide, and about 40 feet long, and
valued at $2,000. It was founded by Rev. Peter Spencer.