[ 107 ]
South Second Street; it contains a membership of 30 persons, and
will accommodate 150 persons with seats. Attached is a Sabbath-
school of 28 children. This mission is also under the care of Rev.
6. ZOAR METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
This church is situated in Brown St., N. L., between Fifth and
Fourth Streets, and is in connection with the M. E. Church. Supposed
to have 150 members, and Sabbath-school children, 75. The build¬
ing is of brick; will seat about 400 persons; has a basement with
lecture room and two class rooms. The edifice is about 60 feet long,
by about 35 wide. The audience room is plain and well finished.
It has no side galleries, but one on the end. Valued about $12,000.
7. ST. THOMAS PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL.
This edifice is of brick, and stands at the corner of Adelphi and
Fifth St., between Locust and Walnut. The building is about 60
feet long, and about 40 wide. There is a large lecture room and
minister's library in the basement. The audience room is a fine
specimen of architectural finish, differing materially from the finish of
the other churches. Attached to the building is a vestry room.
There are 337 adult members in communion. The building in the
audience room will seat on the lower floor and galleries, about 800
persons. The church has attached an interesting Sabbath-school of
145 children, 5 males, and seven females, teachers. It was founded
in 1794. Wm. Gray, Absalom Jones, .Wm. White, Wm. Gardner,
Henry Stewart, and Wm. Wiltshire, were the founders and trustees.
The entire property, including the large lot upon which the church
stands, together with the parsonage, is valued at $40,000.
8. WESLEY METHODIST CHURCH.
This is a neat brick edifice, located in Lombard St., between South
Sixth and Fifth Sts.; it was founded in 1820, Mr. Josiah Blue at the
time the minister. The building is 60 feet long, 42 wide, and is
rated to seat 800 persons. For style and finish it is not surpassed
by any of the colored churches in Philadelphia. There are 500 com¬
municant members. Attached is a Sabbath-school of 165 children,
10 males and 12 females, teachers. This building, also, has a base-