[ 106 J
Edward Waters, Morris Brown, Wm. Paul Quinn, Willis Nazry, and
Daniel A. Payne; the three last are at present the acting bishops, the
others being dead.
2. UNION A. M. E. CHURCH.
This church is located in Coates St., N. L., between Fifth and
Fourth Streets. It is a brick edifice, 68 feet long, by 38 feet wide ;
it has a basement in which are a lecture room and two class rooms.
The audience room is very tastefully finished, well ventilated, and will
compare with any of our churches for neatness. It was founded in
1816, and at present contains a membership of 297 communicants ;
the church is rated to seat 800 persons. It has a Sabbath-school
attached, with 160 scholars, 10 male teachers, and 8 females. There
is a fine library attached to the school. The building and lot are
valued at $14,000.
3. A. M. E. WESLEY CHURCH.
This is a neat little brick superstructure located in Hurst St. be¬
tween Lombard and South, Fifth and Sixth Sti'eets; it will seat about
500 persons. The church was founded in 1834 ; there are 300 mem¬
bers. There is also a basement to this building, in which are a lecture
room, three class rooms, and a minister's studio. There is a Sabbath-
school of 27 children, 3 male and 2 female teachers. The entire
property is valued at $6,000.
4. AFRICAN M. E. MISSION.
This is a brick building 22 feet long by 18 feet wide. The build¬
ing and lot are valued at $800, will seat 250 persons. This mission
was commenced in 1852 ; at present there is a membership of 120
persons. In the Sabbath-school are 68 children. The mission is
under the charge of the Rev. Stephen Smith, the city missionary of
the A. M. E. Church. The church is located in South Seventh
Street, below Dickson St., Southwark.
5. A. M. E. iLLEN CHAPEL.
A wooden building 20 feet long by 16 wide, and together with
the lot is valued at $400. It is situated in Christian Street below